NHMRC – Impact Track Record Workshop
Announcement: 29% of our individual consult clients received an investigator grant .
Identifying and articulating research impacts
This workshop is designed to guide and advise academics on communicating the research impact they have achieved across the research pipeline.
It includes a number of interactive components and individual activities as well as elements of peer mentoring and support. Participants will be required to come prepared with an idea of the impacts they could use as part of their research impact case study.
Understanding research impact
- Deep dive into the four types of impact, as required by the NHMRC (Knowledge, Health, Economic, and Social)
- Consideration of the value and impact of all research outputs (including datasets and software) in addition to research publications
- Indicators of impact – Consideration of the broad range of impact measures including qualitative indicators of research impact, such as influence on policy and practice.
- Outputs vs. outcomes for impact – Gain clarity around dissemination activities versus reach versus impact
- Evidence considerations by impact and indicator type, what is needed to support your claims?
- Identify the impact activities that were used to translate the research and the audiences of these activities.
- Map your research users to identify potentially uncaptured impacts and to build into the impact pathway as part of your narrative.
Writing styles for impact case studies
- Building your case study, examples of good and bad case studies
- Using a story narrative to articulate your research impact in a compelling way
- Examples and case studies of what an impact pathway looks like in practice
- Case study examples of innovative translation and implementation activities
- Linking the research and the researcher’s contribution to the impacts
At the conclusion of the workshop, participants will have mapped engagement with stakeholders, impact activities, relevant indicators and identified potential evidence for use in their case study. They will have begun writing the case study with the appropriate language to articulate and highlight their past impacts.
Feedback from our clients
Leave us your details so we can tell you when we will be running a workshop near you. We will never give your details to anyone and we promise not to send you endless information!
Individual Consult Cost
The workshop includes
To examine our performance (impact), and to provide feedback regarding the value of the workshop to the individual and their organisation.
During the workshop participants will work on relevant elements for their own projects. Participants will leave with ideas and a plan of next steps to be undertaken.
Handouts, activity sheets and information. Participants will have a valuable resource to refer back to as they implement their new knowledge.
What people are saying about our workshops
I found the workshop really useful and learnt a lot. Prior to this, I had no idea on how we needed to approach the impact statement for the upcoming grant application.
It was an extremely insightful experience to attend the inaugural KT Australia workshop on Research Impact for NHMRC Investigator Grants at the University of Melbourne in late 2018. Tamika and Cathie introduced key strategies including targeting a single research program of highest impact and providing compelling evidence of impact, and put them in the context of the increasing importance of research impact to funding bodies. The atmosphere of the session was overwhelmingly positive and there was significant time for both interactive group learning and individual proposal development. The follow-up with Tamika and Cathie via email and video conference after the session was critical to refine the proposal and produce a finished product. I would encourage other medical researchers to better understand the impact of their research through participation in this course
A note of thanks
A note of thanks for your support and feedback with the Research Impact section of my NHMRC Investigator Grant application. I found my sessions with you to work on my case study be invaluable for articulating the impact of my research in a clear and meaningful way.
They provided guidance as to what I need to do in the future to drive impact
It was great to have input from experts in how to write a research impact case study for grant funding purposes. But importantly, they provided guidance as to what I need to do in the future to drive impact
KT Australia provided excellent advice and fine-tuning of impact, innovation and significance sections of grants I am leading.
Valuable objective opinion and guidance
The Research Impact Academy provides valuable objective opinion and guidance, enabling a more directed and cohesive application.
It was a massive help
It was a massive help. Difficult to know whether starting at field 3 or 1 is the way to go. Feel like 3 is easier to get you going but 3 and 2 depends on what you describe as your impact for 1. Either way, the workshop helped me tremendously. Thank you.
Great workshop, it was very helpful to get started with the actual text for the three fields. Thanks!
Don’t wait, these workshops are in high demand, call or email now to book your workshop.
0405 721 141
We have a global impact
Whenever we work with a client, have a new member join, or recruit a speaker for our Summit, we give to a worthy cause. Our giving to date has focused on the sustainable development goals of Education, work & economic growth, industry, innovation and infrastructure and on reducing inequalities.
So far, we have given 4800 days of education to children in India, 252 days of computer education to Indigenous youth in Australia and provided 1140 learning tools to disadvantaged children in Kenya.
When you work with us or join us you are creating a global impact.