How to create, capture, & communicate research impact
The three C’s of impact – create, capture and communicate
This live and online workshop will introduce you to the fundamentals of research impact and help you understand what it is, how you can plan for it, and how to easily create more opportunities to take your work to the next level. You will gain the skills and understand tools to capture meaningful information that you can use when writing about your impact in grant applications, in assessment case studies, or reporting to your funders and key stakeholders. This workshop will help you articulate your impact in a clear, logical and convincing way.
Impact knowledge and communication skills are vital to most professions and organisations. In research, this can help with grant applications and applications for promotions and tenure. Also, we are seeing more and more emphasis on the assessment of impact, and there is an increasing need to understand how to structure and to communicate impact within case studies. In the non-profit sector or research funding arena, we see a need to evaluate the impact of your work so that you can ensure a solid return on investment and continued funding and donations.
- Introduction to the workshop
- Context setting – why impact is vital and what it means to you
- Understanding the role of prospective and retrospective impact
- Terminology and definitions – translation and impact
- What is a pathway to impact?
- The known elements of successful pathways
- How to map your own successful pathway to impact
- Understanding impact activities and outputs
- Identifying impact elements – outcomes and impacts
- Learn about impact logic models + our personal adapted model
- Understand indicators for impact
- Capture relevant evidence to show proof of impact
- Considering your reader
- Crafting your narrative in a logical and clear way
- Know how to structure your key message and problem statement
- Examples of succinct and strong language
- The ten step checklist for writing about impact
- You will understand the different types of impact
- We will help you identify the value and impact of all research outputs, including datasets, software and publications
- Raise your awareness of the broad range of impact measures including qualitative indicators of research impact, such as influence on policy and practice
- Outputs vs outcomes for impact – Gain clarity around dissemination activities versus reach versus impact
- Evidence considerations by impact and indicator type, understand what is needed to support your claims
Know your research knowledge users
- Identify the impact activities used to translate the research and the audiences of these activities
- Map your research users to identify potentially uncaptured impacts and to build into the impact pathway as part of your narrative
Writing styles for impact pathways and case studies
- Building your case study, examples of good and bad case studies
- Using a story narrative to articulate your research impact in a compelling way
- Examples and case studies of what an impact pathway looks like in practice
- Case study examples of innovative translation and implementation activities
- Linking the research and the researcher’s contribution to the impact
Your workshop facilitators
What people are saying about our online workshops
Great course with many useful and practical takeaways that can be implemented immediately. The presenter is passionate about the topic and a highly experienced practitioner in her field.
The workshop was extremely useful in better understanding research impact and I feel more confident in planning for research impact
This workshop has been really helpful in reframing and prioritizing research impact. The information was presented in very practical ways and promoted lots of reflection and engagement. Thank you
An interactive and well paced workshop that provided a good mix of theory and practical tools that we can use in our projects. Tamika and Catherine were always available to answer questions and provide valuable individual feedback on each of our projects.
The practical and applied nature of this interactive experience was fun and inspiring.
As someone new to research impact, I found this workshop to be full of great information and I feel very confident about implementing what I learned.
Highly recommended! An excellent workshop that provides valuable knowledge so researchers can translate their research to deliver impact.
Learning about a framework for highlighting impact, identifying sources of evidence and working to position your work was absolutely invaluable! Tamika and Cathie made the process easy to understand and fun. A highly enjoyable and useful workshop!
I just wanted to reach out and say a big thank you for the program you ran last month (For QUT’s Centre for Justice) of which I was a participant. You both provided extremely valuable insight into identifying and searching for research impact and some very valuable tips for me in tracking that impact. I have been rabbiting on about ‘real impact’ to my academics for a long time, and everything you discussed crystalised to me I was on the right track as we head into the next ERA.