Unique and inspiring solutions
Our consulting is..
How we can help
We help with:
- Reviews of knowledge translation and research impact plans in your applications
- NHMRC Investigator grant or Synergy Grant Impact Case Study track record sections
- ARC Discovery Projects and DECRA grants
- Department of Health NSW Translational Research Grant Scheme applications
- Reviewing any grant with a translation or impact theme
Process of review
We use the following process for our grant consult sessions and have found this to be the most valuable and time effective for researchers.
- Booking calendar link sent to participants.
- Draft plan to be sent to us in Word document format for review
- We review and track changes on the document (1 hour estimate)
- We set up an online consult, via Zoom, to discuss the review findings with the participant and suggest changes (1 hour)
- Zoom meeting recording and track changed documents sent to client
Each consult includes:
- Expert advice and guidance from our impact consultants.
- Online calendar booking to lock in online consultation time.
- Consultation reminders.
- Zoom recording and a session report following the consult.
Basic Individual Consult Cost
We facilitate a range of activities so that you can focus on the outcomes rather than the inputs.
- Roundtable discussions
- Stakeholder meetings and discussions
- Strategy sessions
- Guided planning processes
Make it easier
Development and implementation of guidelines and tools
- Develop a plain language writing guide for researchers.
- Create tools, paper-based and electronic formats, for researchers to use in the production of summaries.
- Training workshop for your organisation in the use of these tools and guidelines.
- Develop a process for sustained use of tools and guidelines.
Organisational impact audit
Build your organisational capacity for research impact
We provide training and strategy sessions to identify the best way to prepare your organisation for impact assessment.
- Do your staff have the key skills and the necessary resources to ensure the best impact pathways are being developed and followed.
- Are you an impact literate organisation?
- Would you like to understand how others are operating in the engagement and impact space to see if there are strategies you can learn from?
Celebrate your achievements and explore opportunities for more
Let us review and identify translation/implementation activity already achieved and further work required
- Work with organisation staff and research partners to review previous and current project translation plans/opportunities to determine what has been achieved so far.
- Review outcomes from any evaluations and assessments of research implementation and impact activities.
- Assist in the identification of key decision-maker audiences and the ideal message champions.
- Identify opportunities and activities to advance translation and implementation of research knowledge into practice.
- Provide information, advice and strategies to create sticky messages for targeted audiences and assist in the implementation strategies for those findings.
Plain language summaries and reports
We can develop high-quality plain language summaries for existing research projects
- We recommend and use a specific format that has been researched and developed by Research Impact-Réseau Impact Recherche (RIR), a Canadian network of 11 universities.
- Two-page maximum, high-quality summary, that covers what the research was about, how the research was undertaken, what the research found, how you can use the research, and a highlight section outlining what the reader needs to know.
- The format is based on advice and recommendations from research users and policymakers and has proven an effective tool for communicating research to a broad audience.
- This format allows for consistency in your branding and messaging, and provides a simple, yet effective, process for researchers to follow in the future.
We will support your editorial and content support
- Work with staff, researchers, and partners, to collate and write content for proposals, publications, websites and so on.
- Ensure clarity of key messages across all content creation.
How our consulting has helped…
The session was wonderful, I’ve already updated my impact statements and had some glowing reviews about the new version. Thank you for being supportive and encouraging, as well!
I am excited and relieved to be successful for an NHMRC investigator award. Your session on preparing for this grant enabled me to get my head around what might be required in terms of research impact, and helped me articulate my research impact for the application. Thanks to your workshop, I learnt this important skill.
Thanks for an instructive and engaging workshop. It was really timely. I went straight to a research project planning meeting and could make suggestions to our design so we could capture metrics around impact which was great.
Really enjoyed the workshop, unfortunately I was only able to attend after morning tea, i found it was really helpful and helped me make plans to plan research with impact
I would recommend RI Academy to any researcher wanting to ensure real impact clinically or otherwise. Engage them early in your planning
We brought Tamika in to support us in commencing a Participatory Action Research project that will have high impact in CFA. Tamika has been great to work with right from the start and has given us valuable tools to create a research project that will have great impact. Through this process, we are starting our research off on a solid ground with a shared vision, smart goals and a map of our stakeholders.